Water supply history

1860-1900 | 1900-1950 | 1950-2000 | 2000 > 

 

 

1860-1900

1860 - 1870s

Hamilton's first dam built on the site bounded by King, McArthur and Ansett Streets. The water was not reticulated and the site has since been filled in.

1876 - 1893

Warrnambool's water sourced from groundwater well in Albert Park. The 45-kilolitre well supplied homes at the top end of Japan and Kelp Streets. A second well near the War Memorial consisted of a holding tank that supplied Timor and the southern end of Liebig Street. Water was distributed to households via horse and cart.

1880

Old Reservoir in Hamilton (capacity of 125 million litres) was situated in North Boundary Road with water reticulated to what is now the central business district and adjacent blocks.

1893

Warrnambool's first reticulated water system constructed. Water was pumped from the Merri River to a basin and tower in Liebig Street. The Merri serviced Warrnambool until 1939. The Liebig Street basin and tower is still active today.

1897

Old Reservoir was enlarged with an additional smaller dam built above it.

1898

Four Mile Creek (later called Waterworks Creek and now Headworks Creek) system designed, comprising a feeder main from the reticulation to a new 4.5 million-litre service basin. A 21-mile main connecting the basin to Headworks Creek was proposed to cross the Wannon River on a timber trestle bridge and operate by gravity.

 

Back to top

 

1900-1950

1904

The Four Mile Creek system completed as designed in 1898.

1911

The existing 66 million-litre Number One service basin constructed in Hamilton.

1914

Gap Creek added to the Hamilton water supply.

1928 - 1935

The mains from Hamilton to Headworks creek duplicated in 250mm wood stave and concrete pipes.

1929

The 66 million-litre Number Two service basin designed on the original service basin site. The basin was built in approximately 1930.

1935

Warrnambool began search for new water supply because water from the Merri River was too hard for household and industrial purposes. Arkins Creek in the Otway Ranges selected as the site for a new water scheme. The 114 km Otway Main Pipeline, or North Otway Pipeline, was constructed to supply Warrnambool and enabled other towns along its route (Camperdown, Terang, Cobden), to share the supply. As the region's population grew, it became evident that an alternative supply would be needed to meet its needs.

1938

An extension of Victoria's electricity grid to Port Fairy provided power for a pumping station to provide residents with water from the Aringa Reservoir, north of the township. This system provided Port Fairy's water until 1970.

1939

Browns Creeks were added to the Hamilton system via a 200mm wood stave main.

 

Back to top

 

1950-2000

1950

Hartwich's Reservoir (380 million litres) built.

1959

The Number One creek was added to the Hamilton system.

Pump station constructed at Carlisle to supplement the Arkins Creek supply. System enhancements in the 1960s included the enlarged storages, new booster pump stations and pipe duplications until further development was no longer economically viable.

1960

Number Two, Two (a) and Three streams added to the Hamilton system.

1964

Otway system extended to serve Noorat and Glenormiston, which at that time had major dairy factories requiring a secure water supply.

1965

Due to development at Heytesbury and construction of a major dairy factory, Simpson was connected to the Otway system.

1967

Bulawin Bore commissioned and operated during the 1967/68 drought in the Hamilton region.

1969

Cruckoor Reservoir (990 million litres) constructed.

1970

Construction began on the new South Otway Pipeline to harvest water from the lower reaches of the Gellibrand River.

Cavendish supplied from Main Line at Dunkeld/Cavendish Road.

1971

Cavendish Reservoir commissioned.

1972

Tarrington begins supply from the Hamilton reticulation system in Petschels Lane.

Otway system extended to supply Derrinallum and Lismore, which previously relied on water from springs.

1976

South Otway Pipeline completed, supplying 80% of Warrnambool's water and allowing more towns to be linked to the original main pipeline.

Late 1970s

Portland's major infrastructure in place, including Bald Hill's One and Two pumping stations and the Wyatt Street Reserve.

1982

Bullawin Bore recommissioned and operated during the 1982/83 drought in the Hamilton region.

1983

Headworks Bore commissioned and operated for the remainder of the Hamilton drought.

1984

Purnim connected to the Otway sytem when new pipeline was constructed to supply the Framlingham Aboriginal community.

Henty Park pumping station in Portland established to provide a back-up to guarantee industry water supply.

Water treatment plant built to ensure Warrnambool's water met world health standards. The design reduces water turbidity caused by small clay fragments from run-off in the Otways, treats discolouration through a conventional coagulation-sedimentation-filtration process and protects against potential bacteria and viruses using chlorine.

1993

Hayes Reservoir commissioned (1,200 million litres).

1994

Glenelg Region Water, Portland Coast Water and South West Water formed.

Macarthur water supply commissioned.

1996

A staged ozone treatment process was implemented at Port Fairy.

1998

Pierrepoint Reservoir commissioned.

Hamilton clear water storage commissioned.

1999

Camperdown region treatment system commissioned.

Koroit connected to Warrnambool water supply system.

 

Back to top

 


2000 >

2000

Terang region treatment system commissioned.

Cobden treatment system commissioned.

Port Campbell treatment system commissioned. Timboon and Peterborough connected to Port Campbell supply system.

Stage two of the Port Fairy Water Treatment Plant completed.

2001

Mortlake connected to Terang region system.

2005

Glenelg, Portland Coast and South West Water merge to form Wannon Water.

2006

Simpson Water Treatment Plant opened.

Drought relief bores commissioned to augment Hamilton water supply.

2007

Balmoral Water Treatment Plant opened.

Dartmoor water supply scheme opened.

2008

Warrnambool's Dales Road water storage duplicated, increasing storage capacity by 300 million litres.

2009

Coleraine connected to the Tullich bore system via the Casterton-Coleraine Pipeline.

2010

52 km Hamilton-Grampians Pipeline completed, augmenting Hamilton water supply system.

2011

Visionary Warrnambool Roof Water Harvesting Project commissioned, augmenting water supply with rainfall from household roofs in a new urban growth corridor.